Saturday, February 25, 2012

What's Cooking?

If you ask me, we need some open threads here. And I'm all about good food. And it's the weekend. So let's have some fun and see if this flies!

I am leaving Portland in just under 19 days now, moving cross-country again. Back east to Philadelphia this time. Although I've never had too much of a pantry*, my last couple of weeks here I'm going to be focused on using up everything I have, so I can move as lightly (and as easily) as possible.

Found a jar of tomato sauce which was gifted to me last Fall by a friend from her garden bounty, and I just so happened to also have two eggs left over from the last farmers' market I hit two weeks ago. My first thought? Shakshouka! So I did a simple version of that for my (very) late lunch an hour or so ago. Just poached the eggs in the sauce with roughly a quarter of an onion (diced), a couple pinches of ground cumin (I never measure when sprinkling - baking is chemistry, but cooking is art!), along with the end of a medium-ish baguette I had lying around from the Vietnamese bakery down the street on the side.

Ideally, I would have included something spicy (peppers!) in the sauce, but again I'm pretty much running low on everything right now (by design) and just winging stuff. And it's not exactly the season for that here, either. But it was still a great lunch, regardless. Anyway.

So what'cha cookin?

....................
....................

*Shame on me! I will build quite an impressive one in Philadelphia though, since for the first time in my life I will have an actual backyard (not too much space - it's pretty much just a 72-square foot concrete pad tucked behind a North Philly rowhouse; but it's all mine and I plan to grow vertically, and have room for a grill and a smoker back there this summer, too!)

6 comments:

  1. I'm not cooking because I don't feel like it. Ordered in Chinese.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul in San FranciscoFebruary 26, 2012 at 6:06 PM

      Ditto. Kung Pao Chicken and Hunan Beef. White rice. That'll feed me for 3 days.

      Delete
  2. Just grilled some burgers and cheese burgers (how Kashrut....) for a B-Day Party. More cooking later.

    Jay, Great call.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if it's a veggie burger or non-dairy cheese...

      Delete
    2. I'm eating tortilla chips and hummus from Trader Joe's (sorry!) for dinner right now, actually, as their SE Portland location is just a four minute walk from my front door.

      Tomorrow I plan to cook up four days' worth of chili at lunch, and three days' worth of mac & cheese for dinner. Get done with cooking and all that for a week or so... :)

      Delete
    3. And speaking of cheeseburgers!

      :)

      On Friday, March 16, I'm going to be having my first (and possibly last) In-N-Out meal of all time. Centerville, Utah! Taking a 30-mile or so detour for the fucking thing, even...

      A double double animal style, and fries well-done, will be mine soon!

      Delete