Sunday, February 12, 2012

I'm Movin' Out... (Philadelphia!)

I tried. I failed. I can live with that.

Three weeks ago I was going nowhere, stuck in a dead end with no apparent way out. Then...

A light! Everything aligned! My landlord inexplicably put me on a month-to-month lease, after 4 years of 12-month leases, and I said, I said...

"Oh shit, I'd better call them and get myself on another one-year lease so I don't get kicked out. After all, the hipsters have discovered my SE Portland neighborhood so I'd better lock myself in while I can!"

But then after a second, I says to myself, I says...

...hey now, wait a minute.



Some people love New York, some people love heaven, some people love Disneyland, some people love Singapore, some people love Paris.

Me?

I love Philadelphia.

More than I can ever put into words. And always have, since I was a little boy over three decades ago and from the first minute I learned to even pronounce the word.

Philadelphia.

What a beautiful word. Call me whatever you want, but there's really no other place in the world I'd ever rather be. And the City takes my heart away every time I see it.

So wait, wait... could I could I could I???

Could I maybe end this failed experiment out here in Portland, where, okay it's a cool city, but ummm... I've only had like four good months out of the 60-something I've been here?

Yeah, okay. I tried. I failed. I can live with that. Time to move on.

There's an apartment available in Kensington, Philadelphia, and oh wait oh wait oh wait...

I want it! I got it!

Holy shit, I'm moving to Philadelphia in four weeks!!!

:-D

Something finally went right in my life for once, I'm gonna be a Philadelphian soon!!!!!!!!!!

:-D

I'm gonna hit the Reading Terminal Market in a few weeks, and when I leave I'm not gonna say, "I'll be back in a month or a year or two years."

No.

Because this time, I'm gonna say - "The Market - Frankford El is gonna take me home in 15 minutes, and I can be back tomorrow or any other fucking day of my life because I live in Philadelphia! Whoo!!!!!!"

WHOO!

Music, please!




I'll never live in Jersey again, but ah shit I feel I'm coming home...


I still dig The Spinners!



Even though I'm from North Jersey, Philly's what I think about when I think of home. But hey, whatever. I understand...

;)

I'll be home soon!


Welcome to Kensington, indeed. 34 days!!! :-D

2 comments:

  1. Yesher koach! I'm actually rather envious. For me, It's New York, and I've been trying to move there for years, but haven't been able to work it out.

    Hope it's everything you want it to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I can't wait. I'm literally counting down the hours (695 until I'm on my way!). I love Portland but it just didn't work out here. Being back where I'm (generally) from will do wonders right off the bat, I believe. And I'm already a leg and a half up there from where I've been the past few years, even before I'm there. Everything's gonna be alright now! ;)

      I hope you can make it to New York one day, yourself. And if you ever do, look us up!

      Delete