Saturday, February 11, 2012

"Israel Apartheid Week" is coming

It seems that the 8th annual "Israel Apartheid Week" is coming. Actually, antisemitic Israel derangement gets an entire month from February 20 to March 11 worldwide dedicated to pushing the false meme that Israel is a racist state and is practicing Apartheid in the manner of the former South Africa.

Never mind that such a notion has been debunked by a prominent South African anti-Apartheid activist and former favorite of the anti-Israel set, or that common sense dictates that given the history and nature of the Israeli-Arab conflict, and the nature of Israeli society, there is simply no valid comparison. The derangers who for some reason think that only Jewish people should be denied self-determination, and that radical Islamists and genocidal maniacs should be embraced, are going to have their week

There will apparently be events across the USA including in my current home region, the Bay Area. At the moment, the IAW website seems to be horribly out of date, listing events from 2010 and 2011 as upcomming, but I assume the derangers will be out in force around here.

This time, rather than just being an armchair warrior, I'm actually going to fight back, by having a counter-protest when these terrorist-loving derangers and/or useful idiots show up in the Bay Area*. Here is the poster I'm going to make, and anyone should feel free to use it or riff on it:
poster - mini
Good times! Who's with me? I think we should start more actively fighting this slanderous and ridiculous deranger shit.

*Unless of course the local events are during my upcomming trip to Hawaii.

14 comments:

  1. I"m with it. Nice poster. If I had only moved to my soon-to-be new city (and back home to the east coast!) a couple months ago, I could have possibly even been banned from a certain recent 'conference' there my very own self...

    ;)

    "The derangers who for some reason think that only Jewish people should be denied self-determination"

    And I wonder what that reason is? Oh wait, no I don't...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the faster that we stop calling others deranged, the better. These folks are either severely uniformed or purposeful, neither of which is deranged.

    Ironically, some of the most effective in confronting those who claim Israel is apartheid are some of the very people that get called deranged in other contexts.

    Why is calling anyone deranged even a part of political discourse? What part does disparagement play to move the ball forward? I submit it makes things worse and there are stronger tacts to take.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the sign, too, but suggest the first line should read: "I support ISRAEL, the side that has"

      I also commend my post on Apartheid in the Middle East: http://oldschooltwentysix.blogspot.com/2012/01/apartheid-in-middle-east.html

      Delete
    2. I agree in part. I don't particularly like that term either, myself. Or to be frank, I don't like it all.

      That being said, it surely accurately describes some. I've met them, I'm sure you may have too.

      I don't personally call anyone deranged as a main point. Because I do agree there are stronger tacts to take. What do you propose they are, btw? Just curious...

      Delete
    3. I agree oldschool.. I think the sign saying "I support Israel..... " is a very good call.

      Delete
    4. I propose using the truth to counter the falsehoods, in using their own words and conduct to show what they want, and to shame them for improperly using human rights and not fighting actual apartheid and the worst violations.

      One can call their ideas and actions deranged without turning it into demonization, but I refrain as I said because it creates a poor environment and reflects badly on the proponent. I prefer to let them show their bad side and in comparison choose to practice what I preach.

      Delete
    5. Okay, well there you go. Thanks. Concur.

      I tried that once at a certain other place and it ended up with me being placed on the same level as a racist, genocidal apologist for terrorists, by the country club bigot(s) who run that hate-friendly site. Because calling out antisemites is the exact same thing as standing in solidarity with Palestinian Islamic Jihad, clearly. But that's neither here nor there, I guess.

      Truth only matters in the real world, oldschool! You should know that by now... ;)

      Delete
    6. Of course, Jay, but when they act that way it shows that you are winning on a variety of levels. To join in that same type of behavior is to lose.

      Delete
    7. I think that calling people "deranged" is a bad way to win them over, but whether it wins other people over is situation-dependent. When it comes to the vast majority of people who pay little attention to the I-A conflict, if we can plant the meme that Israel hate is deranged it is probably useful. Just like they are trying to plant the Apartheid meme.

      In this case the deranged meme would be largely correct. Many Israel-haters are deranged. The intense hate and obsession they exhibit for Israel is unexplainable by rational thought processes.

      Delete
    8. It's way too slippery a slope for me. I am also against planting a meme. There is no need to manipulate what is the reality.

      I think the use of deranged is not necessary to make the most effective argument. Those that are deranged will prove their own worst enemy all by themselves when it comes to persuasion. I have no desire to win them over, either, just to show they are wrong.

      More will move in the right direction when they discover through events the error of their ways.

      Delete
  3. I with you in this fiz. I like the sign.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah... and just two piss off the IDS'ers (Israel Derangement Syndrome sufferers) I think I will purchase a Soda Stream machine and bring it. Let those deranged a-holes see that!!

      Delete
  4. Hey guys: 12-1 Wednesday 2/29 at Sproul Plaza-- Israel Peace Rally. Come out and support the good guys. Watch the haters go crazy. and fizziks, bring your sign.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to but I am at work and cannot get the time off for that - It would require me to take a 2 1/2 hour lunch. But I am there in spirit!

      Delete