Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Today We Had A Rocket Attack

My Israel journey continues.  I am staying for two days in an Air BNB rental that is almost a palace, in the Old City of Beersheva.  I think it was built during Turkish times.

Today was my first experience on Israeli roads, as I rented a car and drove to the Dead Sea and Masada.  It was around 110 degrees F at the Dead Sea, hot even for me.  I did the usual floating, and then enjoyed the spectacular views from Masada.  I also drank, by my count, a gallon of water.

-----------------

Upon my return to Beersheva this evening, I was unpacking the car and had awkward hands full of empty water bottles and receipts when I heard the incoming rocket siren.  It is really loud and there is no mistaking what it is.  Then I heard what sounded like a higher pitched wail from farther away.  I stood there and thought 'well, what does one do in this situation'?

I looked around frantically and the only other person on the block was an older man.  He started walking relatively fast - but not running - down toward the corner.  He was still playing with his cell phone while walking.  I had no ideas of my own so I followed him.  At the corner he ducked down and sat at the foot of a concrete retaining wall.  I did the same.

I asked him if he spoke English and he said yes.  I asked what should we do.  He said "You wait 40 seconds after the siren, and then you hear the boom.  It is good to be by a wall."

I crouched with my fingers in my ears and my arms over my head like they taught us in tornado drills in school.  The man was just texting away on his phone.  There was also a car with a Haredi family right on the street in front of us, and they pulled over to the side and sat.

After about 60 seconds where we heard nothing, he said "It is ok - it must have exploded far from here."  I thought to myself that maybe the Iron Dome got it.

He then stood up, and taking the cue, I did too.  He asked where I was from and I said the US.  He said something like 'Every country has dangers, hurricanes, tsunamis - Israel is still a great place to live'.  He also mentioned that there may be more tonight and that they may be ramping up because of the Jewish holidays coming. Then he said "I will call my daughter" which finally broke the facade of nonchalance.

And that was pretty much it.  I picked up my stuff and headed for the house.

It seems that it becomes pretty much part of the background, and people don't let it affect them too much.  Rationally I know that my chance of suffering death or injury from any given rocket is miniscule, and I really do try to adjust my fears to statistics.

One thing is for sure though.  If some harm were to come to me, I would most certainly not be seeking to forgive and embrace whatever Hamas yahoo is responsible for this - like a certain pathetic lying wuss I could mention.


3 comments:

  1. Fiz... thanks for the continuing update and thanks for the humanizing perspective on these Rocket attacks from the Terrorists.

    Glad you're ok.

    I have a friend whose family is on a Kibbutz near S'derot - they have been hit by a number of Qassam's (thankfully no one killed) and they put up a "Qassam Tree", it is a post with all the rockets that hit welded on to it. It is how they cope with the daily terror attacks coming out of Gaza.

    I say Kol Ha'Kvod..

    Safe Journey's and looking forward to seeing pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My experience of places in Israel within easy range of rocket attack (which is actually most of the country) is that there is usually a bomb shelter in your building or not all that far away. Of course, if you don't live there, you might not have any good way of knowing where it is.

    I remember about a dozen years ago I was in a kibbutz near the Gaza Strip -- I don't remember which, but it was probably Sa'ad or Netivot, or maybe Yad Mordechai. Anyway, I was there with some other Americans who worked for the same NGO, and we were sitting around in a sort of community meeting room-type space. They were aware of the threat of katyushas and wanted to know where the bomb shelter was. Had they spoken Hebrew, they would have known what the signs reading "miklat" meant. Also, the windows probably should have been a clue -- they were basically armor-plated hatches. I guess they were expecting nothing more than a dark, dank room with concrete walls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh... that was supposed to say "Sa'ad, near Netivot, or maybe Yad Mordechai." Netivot, of course, is not a kibbutz.

      Delete