Thursday, June 28, 2012

What today means for me - an ACA story

Today, June 28, 2012 - what a wonderful day.

I woke up this morning with serious apprehensions. I was worried for my future. I mean really worried. See, I am a 49 year old man with high blood pressure, and dangerous hobbies which keep me healthy and feeling great BUT, have risks attached. I also have two little kids who I want to go to college someday, and I have a home to take care of, one that I and my wife have worked hard to get and maintain.

My current employer does not offer Healthcare - fortunately, I have a pretty good plan through my wifes employer.

So, with all this going why am I so happy about today's decision?

Well, I am happy on personal levels and I am happy on other macro levels. I am happy on a personal level because now I know that I can't be denied or dropped from any plan that I am in. If my wife lost her job, I know I can still get insurance. I know that they can't turn me down just because I am middle aged and have a pre-existing condition (high blood pressure). I know that if I G-d forbid I get ill or hurt my family will NOT go bankrupt and have their lives ruined because of my injury or illness.

I know that I can live my life with all of the blessings I have (and there are many) and not have it all come crashing down because of sickness or injury. This means everything to me. I am healthy now for the most part (thank G-d), I plan to work and NOT retire for long time. I don't mind working hard. I know that my children will NOT suffer for things that could happen to me. I know my wife that I love dearly will not have her life destroyed by all of this. In this one place - I have peace of mind.

I am also thankful that my sister who is a senior and has medical issues can be covered and not dropped by her insurance if things get bad. I am thankful that my brother and sister in-law who are retirees but still young enough to enjoy it, now have protection in their senior years.

But I am happy too for my country and the people in it. I am happy because poor and middle class people who are not as fortunate as I am will now NOT be destroyed financially if they happen to fall ill. I am happy that our society is showing compassion for those that are ill. Further, I am happy that people will have affordable healthcare so that those who can't afford it will be able to get it. AND, to be honest, I am happy that people who choose NOT to do (what I consider) the responsible thing will not be a burden on the rest of us because of their short sightedness and/or irresponsibility. Finally, it makes it so that we don't have people lying on the street dying because they are financially ruined and/or could not get healthcare. Thank G-d for that. Our country is a better place for it.

In the end... this decision improves the quality of my life on many, many different levels. It improves the quality of everyone's life and as a part of American society that is what is important to me.

I am one of the lucky ones. I didn't need it for my health right now. But, so what. I needed it for peace of mind. MORE IMPORTANT, I needed it because as a part of American society, I needed it for my country. I needed it for all the good things it will mean. Is it perfect? No. I wanted a public option. But I supported this when I saw there was not going to be a public option and I still support it now. I needed this like we all needed it.

Thank goodness we have a man like President Obama in the White House.

No comments:

Post a Comment